I’m just discovering roasting as a means to cook vegetables. Its a very hands-off method that results in a nice flavor. This dish feels very autumn-y to me, but I’ve been enjoying throughout the winter. This particular time I made an especially wild addition… purple cauliflower!
- 1 head cauliflower (purple if desired)
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 small squash
- 1 head garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 1/4c pine Nuts
- 1/8c olive oil
- 1tsp. red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450
- Chop the cauliflower, broccoli, and peeled squash into chunks. I like the chunks to be just-larger-than-bite-size.
- Toast the pine nuts in a skillet over medium heat watching carefully not to burn them
- Break apart the head of garlic, but do not peel the cloves. Keep them in their skin
- Combine the veggies, nuts, garlic, and spices into a large bowl. Drizzle on the olive oil and toss to coat everything.
- Pour into a glass dish and roast for 20 minutes
- Take out, stir, and bake for another 20 minutes
I serve this as a main course, but it would make a nice side dish as well. (By the way, the garlic still in its skin is delicious by itself. Pick one of the clove sup and squeeze it until the delicious roasted innards come out. Yum.