Recently, I started looking at faster ways to perform dense stereo matching for some work with 3D video. After some experimentation, I found out that by using a selective mode filter paired with naive correspondence matching, I was able to get satisfactory results very quickly. Check out the slide show below for some results!
[red indicates close, blue indicates far away]
Here is a download-able Matlab demo, which should work on any pre-aligned stereo image pairs:
The entire code is written in Matlab/C++/MEX. The stereo matching is all in Matlab, and the selective mode filter is coded in C++ and callable from Matlab (meaning it must be compiled before it can run). Currently, the correspondence is the major bottleneck, so anyone who can improve this, please let me know.
This code can be used according to the MIT license. As long as this work is appropriately cited and attributed, and not being used for proprietary or commercial purposes, I’m fully supportive of you using it. Please drop me a line if it helps you!